Saturday, April 28, 2012

Recipe 103: Chicharong Manok (Chicken Cracklings)

One of the good things of staying in the accommodation provided by my company, though I hate it when the place was first introduced to us, is the unlimited source of fresh chicken skins. In the accommodation we are only three Filipinos, my co-site nurse and an agricultural engineer, out of hundreds of our company’s manpower mostly of Indian, Nepalese, and Syrians. Here in the Middle East, every Friday is considered as the weekend or the rest day from work. Hence as a treat, the mess hall (where the workers take their food) served them special biryani rice with fried chicken wherein the chicken skin is taken out before cooking/frying. Imagine how many would it be if hundreds of chicken skins were taken out? Last week we started asking for the skins and they handed us a plastic bag full of chicken skins! In short, we have unlimited source for making this crispy chicharon manok.

Here’s how I make this kind of cracklings:

1.       Clean the skin with water and drain.
2.       Add a considerable amount of vinegar, salt and crashed black pepper. Mix.
3.       Heat a pan with oil and deep fry the chicken skins until golden brown.
4.       Serve with or without garlic-vinegar dip.


Chicharong Manok


Personally I really like this one as a finger food during drinking (inuman) sessions because once I started eating this one, I felt like I never stops ;) But just a reminder, this is high cholesterol food so take in cautiously and moderately for those with high BP’s. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment