Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Recipe 109: Ginataang Sari-Saring Gulay with Shrimps

It’s been a while for me since I have taken a meal with vegetables served under our table. It’s been a couple of weeks or more I guess. So early this morning, I decided to do some jogging and brisk walking and afterwards buy some vegetables in the nearest grocery store in our accommodation (which is actually less than 2 kilometers or 20 minutes walk away, both back and forth). To compensate from the vegetable-less meals I had, I thought of cooking diverse vegetables in coconut milk. I really missed this type of Bicolano style of cuisine – cooked in coconut milk.

As one may noticed from my previous entries, I have already posted certain vegetables cooked in coco milk and this one, is no-different. The way of cooking and its ingredients is almost the same. The only thing that will make any difference is how one seasons this for exceptional taste.



Ingredients:

1 kg Squash (yellow) – peeled and cut into serving piece
1 pc Ampalaya – cut into serving pieces
2 pcs Eggplant – cut into serving pieces
Coconut Powder (since it’s unusual to find fresh coco milk here in the Mideast I will use the powder one) – dissolved in a 300-500ml of warm water until thick
Shrimps – fresh or frozen
5 Cloves of Garlic - minced
1 Onion – cut in pieces
1 pc Ginger – cut into pieces
Black Pepper Powder
Salt

Bagoong (Optional)
Large Chilis (Optional)


How to Cook:

In a pot, pour the coconut milk. Add garlic, onion, shrimps, bagoong and bring to boil.

Put in the squash. Simmer until squash is half-cooked. Then, Add the amplaya and eggplant.

Season it with pepper and salt. Place in chilis. Simmer over medium heat until all vegetables are soft and the milk thickens.

Serve hot with plain rice.


Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment